Monday, September 19, 2011

Dam tot Dam Fietsclassic 2011, Or, Hilariously bad weather for a bicycle tour!

At the beginning...

I was happy, excited, and ready to go. The fact that a man riding a bakfiets passed me in the Ijtunnel didn't dampen my spirits.

Official photo:


Later, around the 45th kilometer after lots of heavy rain, it began to hail. And why not?
With rain mind you, not instead of rain.
And then why not some lightening?
And another hailstorm? Sure, thunder too!!

Ha!

Everything was funny. Here's a snippet of camaraderie:

Me: Ha ha, oops, sorry. Have to slow down here.
Racer guy: Where are you from, England?
Me: No, America.
Racer guy: Really! What brings you here?
Traffic volunteer helping us cross the road: The Dutch Weather!!
Me & Racer guy: HA hA HA HA hA hA.

I couldn't stop laughing. Or cycling. More official photo evidence (Feel very bad for the photographer, he had to sit in one place for hours):






Here's the medal that I am giving to my saddle as a reward for good behavior, or my shoes for not falling apart (yet).

2 comments:

  1. " .....
    Racer guy: Really! What brings you here?
    Traffic volunteer helping us cross the road: The Dutch Weather!!
    Me & Racer guy: HA hA HA HA hA hA.
    ..."

    LOL! :D

    Nice Photos
    Re: In the last photo: a momento .. to show grandchildren in the years to come? ;)
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like a really long ride to invite heavy rain :) Still, I suppose as long as it's not cold, cycling in the rain can be anywhere from not-too-unpleasant to kind of nice.

    I say the saddle deserves the medal. I always feel bad for mine, having to be squashed by my butt for miles on end.

    ReplyDelete